Our History

 

Woodlands was established in 1872 as a 98,000 acre estate purchased from the crown by The Piako Swamp Company for the sum of 2/6 (25 cents) an acre.

The lovely Homestead, which has been restored to its former glory, was originally built as a Manager's residence between 1872 and 1875, which is largely made of Kauri and still features some of the original weatherboards and iron on the roof.

The gardens around the homestead contain four notable trees - one is regarded as New Zealand's largest Eucalyptus, another a Liriodendron which is believed to be the finest in the Waikato, and an American Ash and Juniperus Chinensis, are considered to be of National interest.

Woodlands is registered with NZ Historic Places Trust and the New Zealand Gardens Trust.

The historic and aesthetic value of the homestead and gardens has been maintained through donations of finance and time.
Find out more